Eclectic I

Monday, July 30, 2007

Tech Forum semester 2 wk1

This weeks Forum served as a good introduction to Circuit bending. I didn't find the Victorian Synth a highly interesting instrument, but I appreciate it as a step into something I have been interested in for quite sometime but never gotten around to doing Circuit Bending) I understand the need for the "nothing the plugs into the wall" rule and will of course stick to it for my own safety, but hope one day I will have enough proficiency with technology to circuit bend my old Yamaha Keyboard.

Anyway.. Here are some pics, and some samples of the noises I created when making my own Victorian synth, mic'ing it and then putting it through a guitar amp with distortion and Reverb.





I really like the Rhythm of sample 1 and would like to use it in piece sometime.
Sample 1

For Sample 2 I placed my Tibetan meditation bowl on top of the speaker, so the vibration of the speaker caused it to ring.
Sample 2

In Sample 3 I ran the alligator clips over a ruff metal serface. (the rough side of my meditation bowl.
Sample 3

Sample 4,5 and 6 were created by adding two paper clips to the end of the alligator clips and connecting the circuit via them placed on the speaker. Where I placed the clips resulted in the 3 different frequencies of each sample.
Sample 4
Sample 5
Sample 6

And special thanks to Ben Probert for his help with the camera!


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Electronics, Instrument Building and Improvisation.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 26th July, 2007.

Tomczak, Sebastian. “Electronics, Instrument Building and Improvisation.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 26th July, 2007.

Whittington, Stephen. “Electronics, Instrument Building and Improvisation.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 26th July, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home