Eclectic I

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

MTF3B wk2



David Harris presented us with his piece "Terra Rapta." As stated in the program note, the piece as written as a recognition of Terra Nallius proclamation of Australia and the resulting taking of the land from the Aboriginal inhabitants. Although I didn't really enjoy the style of the piece, I enjoyed the use of rhythm in areas such as section F. I also liked the use of sliding portamento in the violin parts. It was quite evident that David was expression an emotional idea rather than exploring a structural idea which he has quite often done in other works he has played us. I appreciated this as I get bored when structure is paramount to emotion in music.

The Schubert quartet was brilliant. The constant change between major and minor was very clever and emotionally invoking. Special thanks to Ben for closing the book.

Reference:

Whittington, Stephen. "Forum – Week 2 – Semester 2, 2008: My Favourite Things I.” Workshop presented in room 1107, level 11 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 7th of August 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home