Eclectic I

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Creative Computing Major

Concrete Harmony
Luke Digance
2’30

In writing this piece I hope to challenge the musical ideals behind music concrete, and establish the foundations of traditional western music within music concrete.

To begin this process I started off gathering a group of ‘found sounds’ in which I could use. When editing these sounds I did not use any technique that was not typically used within music concrete.

I then proceeded to challenge the ideal that ‘found sounds’ need to be treated as sounds that are de-referenced from their source yet treated as sonic objects and not harmonic or melodic ones.

I continued to de-reference the sounds from their source, employing a number of traditional music concrete techniques to do this, but furthering this I analysed the fundamental frequencies of each sound and referenced them to a pitch. From this a chordal structure was born which progressed into a traditional western harmonic chord progression.

In doing this I feel that I haven’t actually bridged any gaps between the two musical schools of thought, but rather highlight the already existing union between the two in a lot of modern ‘computer music.’ This is also why the last part of the piece becomes slightly more modern with the use of a beat to tie the last 30 seconds together.

Harmonic Concrete

4 Comments:

Blogger unknown said...

Luke,
This is an interesting piece. I particularly like the middle 30s or so, where the sound textures change rapidly. The use of similar tonal colours in different stages of the work, and the variations on the melody, serve to make a coherent piece. There are one or two places where time-shifting/pitch-stretching resulted in uncomplimentary artefacts, however these detract minimally from the work as a whole.

8:51 PM  
Blogger David J Dowling said...

Okay now, dont freak out Luke, but I'm trying to play your CC composition on my home computer via the link on your blog. Rather than letting me play the file, it seems your mutant blog has decided to alter the functionality of the master fader on my mixing desk. No joke, it has turned it into some kind of signal generating / frequency modulation device rolled into one....it actually sounds kind of cool - great for those sub bass dive bombs. I may just start using it as a live instrument!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

Thanks for the feedback martin. What do you mean by the middle 30's or so?

David? I don't understand how that is happening, except maybe to say that my music is actually created by channelling a daemon from the 9th dimension called Albert who occasionally likes to speak to the general public through various pieces of technology. My suggestion is to take whatever advice he has and go with it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

p.s. Sorry Martin, I forgot to give you a capital letter in my response. :(

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home